"Every Little Bird Seems to Whisper Louise"

Louise Taylor, Coles County Reporter Scrapbook

 Return to the Radio History Table of Contents


Also go to pages:  37  39






When Lee died he was doing a daily show on WLBH from 8:30-8:45, Monday through Saturday and Louise would take over this schedule. She did the show much like Lee. Her advertisers were on a waiting list because she was only allowed so many spots per program and radio advertising was popular in the 1950's. As far as I can tell, she would have three broadcasts, two morning shows and an afternoon show. One of the morning shows would be a sunrise news show (6:30 A.M.., or so) from her home.

BACON FRYING?                                       

Louise tells a story about the early morning 6:30 A.M. broadcast. She received a phone call from a listener who was concerned about a funny hissing noise he was hearing during the early morning news. Louise tried to determine the cause, whether with the phone line or in the house. Finally she noticed that Red and I were getting up during the news-show and using the bathroom. The old toilet made a loud hissing noise to fill up. This noise was carrying over the telephone and over the air. This was the hissing. That old toilet still makes the same loud hissing sound. No doubt, our mom changed our routine.


Quite often Louise would have to give the news on Christmas Day. She would usually call her and see how we were doing through an on-air interview by phone. Red and I would tell everyone what all Santa had brought us. One year our dad was off-duty from the fire hall and was at home preparing the Christmas turkey. Louise called us and talked to us as usual, then asked to speak with our dad. He had had a hot toddy or two to liven the Christmas mood. It was not too often the fire captain would be off-duty on Christmas!  He told her everything was fine, but the turkey had slid out of the pan and across the floor.


My mom said, "Thank you, Melvin!" and then hung up. We had a good Christmas that year.


I used to like to go with morn to the WLBH studio and help her on Sunday afternoons. I would look out the window and answer the phone if it would ring. Sometimes I would write news-flashes and give them to her. One Sunday, after we had just finished a yard sale the week before, I was looking out the window, down onto the square. I saw a lady, whom we had nick-named Spider, because of the way she walked. Spider was wearing one of my mom's polka dot dresses she had purchased at our yard sale earlier in the week. I wrote a news-flash: "SPIDER JUST WENT BY WEARING YOUR OLD POLKA-DOT DRESS ON! SHE LOOKED REAL NICE." My mom always tried to be serious in her broadcasting, but once in a while would lose control. This time, she had to use her cough button (a shut-off button to allow an announcer to cough) for a lengthy time. She often had to tell the engineer at Mattoon to play a record.

It was easy to get lost in a good laugh, and seems to conform with the Lynch philosophy of LAUGH, LAUGH, LAUGH

WICKER WHEEL CHAIR                                 

I was on-air helping my mom to read Trading-Post items on a Saturday morning.   She let me read some of the articles for sale or trade. I did fine until I read the wicker wheel chair card and said fickle wheel chair.   We had to use the cough button to get composed.


Marguerite Stump was a fill-in news reader for Louise.  I often helped her at the studio.  After Louise would retire from broadcasting, Marguerite would take over the Charleston news program.     We thought highly of hard-working Marguerite.



Return to the Radio History Home Page


Learning On-Line Home Page