Answer the questions:
The Grant Homepage is Great
for Finding Facts and Answers
1. Ulysses S. Grant had a rather uneventful
and undistinguished career start in the U.S.
Army. Why does it seem this way?
2. When did Grant's military career take
hold, and resulted in many battle wins? What
ranks did he go through?
3. In which battle did Brigadier General
Grant utter his famous words, "No terms
except an unconditional surrender can be
4. What branch of the U.S. military, during
the Civil War, had a Medal of Honor before
the U.S. Army?
5. General Winfield Scott (famous from the
War with Mexico) had an opinion about a
"Medal of Honor." What was his opinion?
Why was he against it?
6. The Navy medal was "to be bestowed upon
such petty officers, seamen, landsmen, and
Marines as shall most distinguish themselves
by their gallantry and other seamanlike
qualities during the present war." Define
the words DISTINGUISH and GALLANTRY.
7. What legislative RESOLUTION was made to
start the Navy Medal of Valor. Who had to
sign it into law? When did the Army
version get passed by Congress and signed by
the President (both by Abraham Lincoln)?
8. What was the Army Congressional Medal of
Honor given for? (Write the wording of the
9. Was the Congressional Medal of Honor
supposed to be a permanent "DECORATION?"
How many medals were awarded during the
Civil War? Navy medals_______ Army
medals______ Marines________ Civilians
10. What does it mean to receive a medal
11. Study these Medal of Honor winners.
Find Sgt. William H. Carney, 54th
Go to the Civil War Listings:
and research a Civil War era Medal of Honor
winner. Find his story, picture and what
made him a Nation's Highest Honor winner.
Return to U.S. Grant Orders Page
U.S. Grant "Bulldog" Home Page
LEARN ABOUT MILITARY MEDALS
List of Illinois Regiments during the Civil
16th President Topics Index
Learning On-Line Home Page