Part #C-- The Civil War ends-- Memorial for the
Confederacy desired and started
1. What group was formed to attempt to maintain a hatred
for blacks and tried to use Stone Mountain as its
2. Who was responsible for the idea and later actual
building of Stone Mountain Memorial?
3. What was the purpose of building a memorial in the
South at Stone Mountain?
4. Who owned Stone Mountain and gave it over for the
5. Make a timeline for construction of the Stone
Mountain Memorial, with names of the designers and
carvers, as well as when it was finished.
6. Who are the three men carved on Stone Mountain? Why
are they important enough to be carved into stone?
#D-- BIOGRAPHIES OF THE BUILDERS. . .
Create a Power Point that includes images and
information about Gutzon Borglum and Augustus Lukeman,
carvers of Stone Mountain Memorial.
Click Wikipedia Here for
Gutzon Borglum Biography:
1. Birth/Death date:
2. Family information:
3. Why Gutzon Borglum was hired for Stone Mountain?
4. How did Gutzon Borglum decide who would be mounted
on the memorial?
5. Why did Borglum leave the Stone Mountain project?
6. What other great project did Borglum plan and carve?
Augustus Lukeman Bio:
How did A. Lukeman get involved with the carving of the
Stone Mountain Memorial?
Did A. Lukeman change the original plans that Gutzon
When did A. Lukeman finish his part of the work on Stone
1. How was Stone Mountain Memorial carved and the park
finished, including early ambitions and the final
2. Go to our Stone Mountain Hotlist and find the sites
that give lots of images and information about the
actual carving of the memorial.
3. Find out what the present park would be like now, if
the old original plan was finished.
4. What has happened to the park since its' completion
in the 1960's
1. The 21st Century South. What's going on in
Georgia to celebrate the 21st Century Southern State &
Go on the Internet to the Stone Mountain Hotlist and
find out what's going on at Stone Mountain during this
3. See what services, shows, and tourism events are
4. What else is there to do or see, in Atlanta and the
area, concerning History and the Civil War?
5. Create a Presentation or pamphlet describing great
tourism sites in Georgia, especially around the Atlanta