#10) Site of
Capitol House Hotel (used by Lincoln for his Debate Headquarters)--
Exact point, but different structure
in the Lincoln Building, site of the old Capitol House
Capitol House Hotel as it would have looked in 1858. It was
located at the corner of Monroe and 6th Streets (n.w.
corner) of square where the current Linder Building sits.
Charleston in the 1860's. It had grown dramatically with
the establishment of the County Seat in the center (the
cross shaped building) Click
Here for an enlarged map
in the downstairs hallway of the Linder Building, N. E. Corner of the
Charleston square. On September 18, 1858, Abraham would come back to
Charleston to speak at one of the seven debates with Democrat Steven
Douglas. He would use the Capitol House as his headquarters. Both it
and the Union House Hotels, on the Charleston square were full of debate
spectators and curious.
Here for a tour
of Coles County Lincoln/Grant: Locations