Learning Lincoln On-line
FROM-- SET SEVEN, CIVIL WAR STUDIES
Topic Ninety: Black Codes
Black History During the 19th Century
Here are your Jobs:
1. Read from the 19th Century book: A slave and a master.
2. Read the about the Black Codes of Illinois, 1819 Complete Text
3. Read about the Library of Congress Fugitive Slave Law of 1850.
4. Look at the maps for Underground Railroad Stations.
5. Read the section of Charleston Law concerning the Matson Slave Trial in our own courthouse.
6. Look at the ads for "Runaway Slaves."
7. Listen to the Slave Song: Follow the Drinking Gourd." Be prepared to tell how a song could guide the runaway slaves along the Underground Railroad.
8. Go to the Underground Railroad site on National Geographic and follow it through