Photo of Bloody Lane Battlefield, Antietam,
from the CWPT website
Use the Civil War On-Line
For these questions you will use the "House Divided" website to find
Check this Civil War Site for help in Finding Answers
1. Why does this website describe the Civil War as the
first modern war?
2. How do the 600,000 deaths accrued in the Civil War,
compare to 5,000,000 now-days in 2007?
3. What is the industrial revolution, and how did that
influence this war concerning the division of north and south?
4. How did the Union Army finally start winning
5. Why were railroads so important in the war? List
three major railroad junctions for both Union and South sides.
6. What means of communication helped commanders control
his troops better (than in past wars)? How do you think this new
communication was used by the President?
7. Trenches were used in the Great Battles, and helped
to increase deaths, along with new weaponry. Why were trenches so
8. What is an ironclad, and how did they change naval
8. Describe the new army "rifle" that could shoot much
farther, and more accurately.
9. How many soldiers died at Gettysburg because of the
10. Another important weapon was the cannon. What was a
Howitzer? Who was Admiral Dahlgren, and what did he invent?
11. How many soldiers died in the Civil War? How does
that compare to World Wars I and II, and the Korean, Vietnam, and
present-day middle- east conflicts?
12. The great battles of the Civil War were led by
cavalry soldiers and infantry soldiers carrying Old Glory. How many
stars did the Early Civil War flag have? How about later in the
13. What was the Confederate flag called? Draw a
picture of both the Union flag and the Confederate flag, color and
14. Who is thought to have designed the Confederate
15. How many volunteers did the President call up in
April of 1861? Make up your own broadside poster for a current or
16. Why were the drums decorated so fancily?
17. The 9th Vermont Regiment (that had the fancy drum)
was involved in many great battles, and was also in on the take-over
of what southern confederate city?
18. Describe the Union-issued Army uniform.
19. The Confederate ladies made a beautiful flower-flag
of their new country. How many stars did it have on it?
20. What are the names of popular patriotic songs during
the Civil War?
21. Why did U.S. Grant think the "art of war" was not
enough to win? What did he think was necessary to win a battle?
22. General Albert Johnston of the Confederacy was
highly respected by both sides? What other U.S. wars did he fight
in? How did he get killed?
23. What great southern city was captured on the
Mississippi by Admiral Farragut?
24. In 1862, General McClellan and General Robert E. Lee
met at Antietam (Sharpsburg) for what is called the bloodiest day in
American History. How many died, and what did McClellan fail to do,
that would have made this Union victory the last battle of the war?
25. General Robert E. Lee would invade the United States
at Gettysburg in June of 1863. Who won this great battle? How many
men were lost? Why did Lincoln go to Gettysburg to give a speech?
26. After many battles, losses and wins by both Union and
Confederate forces, all would come to an end at the Appomattox
Courthouse. What happened at the court house, and how did Generals
Grant and Lee get along in their meeting there?
Go Here to get details, and
Here to see the "gentlemen's agreement" document.
27. Name the two Civil War prisons described in the
House Divided site, and tell where each was located.
28. How many combined forces would end up in the prisons
and suffer greatly?
29. How many Confederate prisoners died at Camp Douglas,
30. The Civil War, being considered the first modern
war, had a system of medical care and surgery set up that was very
primitive. Where and how were the field hospitals set up, and what
was the most common surgery performed? What was the name of the
first U.S. Naval hospital ship?
Go to Abraham Lincoln Trivia Question Puzzle Here
16th President Topics Page
Learning On-Line Home Page